Kernel Team Manager
Cerebras is developing a radically new chip and system to dramatically accelerate deep learning applications. Our system runs training and inference workloads orders of magnitude faster than contemporary machines, fundamentally changing the way ML researchers work and pursue AI innovation.
We are innovating at every level of the stack – from chip, to microcode, to power delivery and cooling, to new algorithms and network architectures at the cutting edge of ML research. Our fully-integrated system delivers unprecedented performance because it is built from the ground up for deep learning workloads.
Cerebras is building a team of exceptional people to work together on big problems. Join us!
The Kernel team is responsible for the design, implementation, and performance tuning of deep learning operations on highly parallel custom processors. We are developing parallel and distributed algorithms to maximize hardware utilization and accelerate the training of deep neural networks to unprecedented speeds.
- Creating high-performance linear-algebra and machine-learning kernels for custom processors.
- Designing and implementing parallel algorithms on a distributed hardware architecture.
- Tuning and optimizing low-level assembly code within significant constraints of highly-optimized high performance hardware.
- Understanding the tradeoffs of performance, compute, and memory and simultaneously optimize for all three.
As the manager of Cerebras’s Kernel team, you will lead, build, and manage a team of highly talented and motivated software engineers in a fast-paced environment to solve the toughest of problems in a rapidly evolving AI space.
- Leading the team to develop a flexible and robust library of optimized kernels for primitive operations used by state-of-the-art neural network architectures
- Providing technical vision and guidance to team members in designing, analyzing, and optimizing algorithmic solutions
- Working with engineering leadership and product management teams to develop product roadmap
- Identifying hiring needs and filling them with top talent from industry and academia
- Mentoring and coaching team members considering both short-term execution and long-term career growth needs
- Identifying risks in product development schedule and take active measures to mitigate them
- Actively participating in defining next generation system architecture with hardware and systems teams and provide software perspective for feature prioritization
- Defining and enforcing best practices in software development process including coding style standards and peer reviews
- Identifying opportunities for deployment of tools and processes to improve engineering execution efficiency
- Driving sprint planning meetings
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s / Master’s degree or foreign equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field.
- 7+ years of related work experience in e.g. kernel design, implementation, and optimization, or high-performance parallel programming
- 5+ years of experience in building and managing engineering teams
- Familiarity with parallel algorithms and distributed memory systems
- Experience with assembly-level programming and optimization and strong knowledge of computer architecture fundamentals
- Programming fluency and extensive experience in C or C++ and Assembly languages
- Project and program management experience
- Familiarity with Agile development methodology
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Deep learning algorithms experience is a plus
- Experience working in a fast-paced, startup-like environment strongly preferred
Our cozy and well-appointed headquarters are in the heart of Silicon Valley near downtown Los Altos, California.
Our beautiful San Diego offices overlook views of the Sorrento Valley canyon.